Lakeshore Records will release the soundtrack to The Lure, featuring original songs by Barbara and Zuzanna Wrońska (of the Polish Indie Band Ballady i Romanse). See track listing below.
Director Agnieszka Smoczyńska says of the film, “The Lure is a genre hybrid: a love story, a musical, and a fantasy-horror reverie—in other words, an adult fairy tale. I was inspired by the kitschy world of big dance-hall parties from the Communist era, which came to a close when I was twelve years old.
The lost souls, the warm vodka, and the glamour amid poverty fueled my imagination and stirred my memories of the two restaurants my mother ran during this not-so-belle epoque.
ABOUT THE LURE
In this bold, genre-defying horror-musical mashup — the playful and confident debut of Polish director Agnieszka Smoczynska — a pair of carnivorous mermaid sisters are drawn ashore in an alternate ’80s Poland to explore the wonders and temptations of life on land. Their tantalizing siren songs and otherworldly aura make them overnight sensations as nightclub singers in the half-glam, half-decrepit fantasy world of Smoczynska’s imagining. In a visceral twist on Hans Christian Andersen’s original Little Mermaid tale, one sister falls for a human, and as the bonds of sisterhood are tested, the lines between love and survival get blurred. A savage coming-of-age fairytale with a catchy new-wave soundtrack, lavishly grimy sets, and outrageous musical numbers, The Lure explores its themes of sexuality, exploitation, and the compromises of adulthood with energy and originality.
The Lure (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
01. Mermaid’s Calling #1 – Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska, Barbara Wrońska
02. You Were The Beat Of My Heart – Kinga Preis, Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska
03. Give Me This Night – Barbara Wrońska, Zuzanna Wrońska
04. The Housefly 3 – Kinga Preis, Jakub Gierszał, Roma Gąsiorowska, Marcin Kowalczyk, Katarzyna Sawczuk
05. Take Me In Your Care – Marta Mazurek, Jakub Gierszał
06. Banana Song – Kinga Preis, Andrzej Konopka, Jakub Gierszał
07. The Tavern – Barbara Wrońska, Marcin Macuk
08. Biting The German To Death – Barbara Wrońska, Marcin Macuk
09. Abracadabra – Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska
10. I Feel Love – Kinga Preis
11. Chronos – Łukasz Drapała
12. Colors – The Abstinents
13. Mermaid’s Calling #2 – Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska, Barbara Wrońska
14. The Bed – Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska
15. The Housefly 1 – Michalina Olszańska
16. The Loop – Magdalena Cielecka, Kinga Preis, Jakub Gierszał, Andrzej Konopka
17. The Carpet – Barbara Wrońska
18. Policewoman – Katarzyna Herman, Michalina Olszańska
19. Beata From The Albatros – Jakub Gierszał
20. Before The Finale – Barbara Wrońska
21. I Came To The City – Kinga Preis, Marta Mazurek, Michalina Olszańska
22. SZ – Barbara Wrońska
23. Finale – Barbara Wrońska, Marcin Macuk
More from the director:
The Lure is also a coming-of-age story about discovering your sexuality and femininity, and how these two things can sometimes be used for problematic purposes. The mermaids are not an end in themselves but a reflection of the eventual, painful discovery that adulthood is not all it seems.
As far as previous depictions of mermaids in popular culture, I was inspired much more by Homer and Hans Christian Andersen than by Walt Disney: my mermaids do not wear seashell bras but rather chew on human hearts.”
Don't Miss A Beat: Subscribe To Film Music Daily!
Join our community to receive exclusive content.